The Bishop Montgomery Song Team consists of athletic dancers who serve as student spirit leaders by promoting team spirit and good sportsmanship within the school. Song Team members are active participants of the Spirit Squad and are required to act in a Christian manner and support good relations in the community, both between teams and squads during all events and activities.
Being a part of the Song Team is a year round commitment, and those auditioning for the team must be able to commit to the program for the entire school year. The program consists of various activities including but not limited to performing at sporting games throughout the Fall, Winter and Spring sports season, playoff and championship games, school sponsored events, community events and competitions. Auditions generally occur in the Spring and are open to all enrolled Bishop Montgomery students including incoming 8th graders that have completed registration for Bishop Montgomery.
Professional judges select the Song Team members during an audition process. Interested students must attend all sessions of the workshop and the scheduled tryout. Candidates should be prepared to learn a jazz routine, a hip hop routine and a dance technique combination demonstrating dance skills such as pirouettes, chaine's turns, grande jete' leaps, fouette' turns, leg extensions, various dance jumps, etc. Audition results are final and are never discussed with students or parents. Students who were members of the Song team on previous years are also required to audition each year and are not guaranteed a position.
All BMHS Songleaders are expected to:
- Be positive role models for their peers, positive representatives of BMHS and quality members of the Spirit Squad
- Remain in good disciplinary standing with the school at all times (no suspensions or probations) and uphold all standards of conduct outlined in the BMHS student/parent handbook
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA or above throughout the entire school year. Should a member’s GPA drop below 2.0, they will be ineligible to perform in games
- Help maintain a “drama free” environment in rehearsals and at all performances and games
- Have respect for both their teammates and persons of authority and maintain a positive attitude.
- Consistently demonstrate 100% effort during rehearsals, performances, training and conditioning
- Be committed and have outstanding attendance at rehearsals games, performances and competitions
- Work hard to have complete knowledge of sideline dances, cheers, and performance routines so that the BMHS Song Team performs with the highest confidence and pride
Generally, during the Spring months of March and April, information regarding Song Team auditions will be distributed to interested candidates.